06 May 2006

I dropped into the heart of Chinatown

Well thats what happened, it was a cheap hotel, nice location and the receptionist sounded nice on the phone. I had a feeling when the girl answered with a thin Asian accent, hhmmm, could it be. Suspicions were confirmed two hours later when the shuttle pulled up infront of the hotel, and the first two people I saw were Asian. The receptionist was Asian, after checking in and having much needed sleep for three hours, I ventured out into the streets and low and behold it was China Town indeed :) Well of course I am being insensitive when I say Chinatown, what I really mean to say is Asia Town. The odd palagi you see on the street is either a spouse, a tourism worker, or shall we say, a partner of a suspiciously mail-order related relationship. Am I being presumptious? Well maybe, but thats just based on what I see. Theres a conclusion that one may draw when seeing a pretty young Asian girl with an older, not so pretty palagi man, unless of course its opposites attracting :) in the physical sense at least.
So where am I, well, in Auckland, about four blocks from the center of the city, you know its like this all over the world, at least from my experience, it taks only a few steps to move from the center of the buzz into something almost calm and serene. Take New York for instance, it wasnt two steps, it was an hour drive and I found myself in the country side, complete with woods, isolation and silence. In Vienna, its literally steps away, just take a few steps away from Karlsplatz and you find yourself infront of a majestic castle, with grounds the size of Manono and Apolima put together, but you are away from the city, no more noise, congestion just pure serenity.
Yesterday I did not see one single Samoan on Queen Street, is it because it was Sunday? Or, as my sister pointed out before, Samoans confine in Manukau City Mall and Dressmart? I discovered this the last time I came, which was good in a way. You see one of the joys of travelling for me, is anonymity, in the sense I dont know anyone, no one knows me, which means I can pretty much go anywhere, do anything and be free. Like yesterday, I woke up and walked out of the hotel, never mind I didnt brush my hair, never mind that I was still pretty much in my PJs, but who cares, everyone is a stranger, no judgement, like I said, freedom. But Auckland is not the best place for this, well because there are Samoans, and lots of them, and one of them would know your brothers, girlfriends sister who went to uni with them or somthing. All tangled up and somehow it makes sense in the end. Well I shall end this account here, I do have some things to do before leaving.

cheers

1 Comments:

Blogger Fotuosamoa said...

yeah man,. pretty depressing.

come to hamilton: its hori farmers, broke students and toothless brown pipol...hahah
nah, enjoy your time in auckland.

go down to viaduct, where a bottle of water grossly overpriced but at least you'll see other nationalities..


ciao

6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home